Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Kly,

Say for instance Sandusky's lawyer wanted to "appeal" the verdict. Would it mean each individual charge would be a separate appeal?

smile

TIS

Btw, they said he'll get a minimum of 60 years.

His lawyer has ten days to file post verdict motions, which must identify each issue he intends to raise on appeal. An appellate argument on the basis of the trial judge's refusal to grant the requested continuance would apply to all counts, but particular evidentiary errors that are alleged would apply to the charges pertaining to the specific victims. I'm sure on each count he will raise a comprehensive, standard appllate argument that there was not enough evidence to support the charge. You want to be overinclusive in this motion because if you don't raise it now, you're precluded from raising it on direct appeal.

So,it's one appeal with lots of separate arguments. In this particular case there's not a lot of room for appellate success as the prosecution went out of its way to keep a clean record.

While the reports state that he's looking at a minimum sentence of 60 years, the judge has the discretion at sentencing to run the sentences concurrently instead of consecutively. Nevertheless, it appears that his aggregate sentence will effectively amount to a life sentence.

Most people only learned of Jerry Sandusky from this scandal that exploded this past fall. In the 1980s and 90s he was widely recognized as the best defensive coordinator in college football, and he was offered head coaching positions by high profile Division I schools, which he turned down.

While I'm not a Penn State football fan, I would go each year with my boys to a game with some of my wife's relatives, who never miss a game (my wife's cousin has been married to a Penn State quarterback). As such, my boys got to meet some of the coaches and players when they were younger. They actually had their picture taken with Sandusky and some of the players in Sandusky's last season at Penn State. I can't look at the picture.