My son's high school team made it to the elite eight in the the State AAAA play-offs, but lost 7-6 to a powerful LaSalle College High team that has five seniors going Division I next year. When I saw this team, which recruits actively for baseball, I didn't think we had a shot, but despite the loss it was our team's most impressive outing.

It was a roller coaster of emotions as we were ahead, but fell behind 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth. We scored twice in the top of the sixth, but LaSalle plated three in the bottom of the 6th on a one out, bases loaded double.

My son entered the game to pitch at that time. An error by the ss made it first and third. My son struck out the next batter and the catcher picked off the runner on third for an inning ending double play.

We tied it in the top of the seventh. But the lead-off batter for LaSalle fouled off a lot of pitches and earned a walk. A sacrifice put him on second. Then our catcher, who's been superb all year, had a passed ball putting the winning run on third. We loaded the bases to set up a force and moved the centerfielder into the infield, which was in. The batter with two strikes hit a high fly to moderate left for a walk-off sac fly on a close play at the plate.

My son is still in the dumps, but he pitched well. He gets the start on the mound tonight as the Legion season begins today, having been delayed a few weeks due to the high school team's post season run.