These homes are among the oldest, nicest and largest in the city. They tend not to have the modern amenities like forced air heat or ac and are a beast to heat and cool but they also have workmanship that can't easily be found today.

I did not grow up in this neighborhood but always liked to visit. If I had real money I would love to move one of those homes to a country estate.
Slideshow

Quote:
Despite the heat, nearly 2,000 people from all over the region walked on the east side of Detroit on Saturday to view historic homes open for the 39th-annual Indian Village Home and Garden Tour.

"There's a lot of mystique about Indian Village," said Jason Hill, 38, a village resident and real estate investor. "The tour creates more of an interest in the neighborhood, and the neighbors embrace it. It's a sense of pride for Detroit."

Hill said he and his wife, Dara Hill, moved to Indian Village 13 years ago just to be married in the wrought iron gazebo in the Indian Village Centennial Garden across the street from their home on Seminole. It is available for only residents' use.

Indian Village is one of the city's gems. Houses dating to 1895 earned it a place on city, state and national historic registries.

Saturday's tour also included several gardens, including one on Seminole created over the years by resident Oscar Paskal's late wife, Dolores.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.