Would have been nice to get paid while the jury's out.

TIS, you pretty much answered it. As long as the jury was deliberating for an unusually long time, I knew that at least one person was resisting, and at the time it didn't matter which way the vote was.

The prosecution has to convince all 12 where I would only have to hang one and my client walks out of the courtroom. Of course, they can retry him, and they usually do if the jury was deadlocked 11-1 or 10-2 in their favor. If the breakdown is 7-5 or worse, the prosecution normally won't try it again.

Prosecutors still have advantages though in that they decide whether to bring a charge to trial. But because I knew I could get by with one hold-out, I would try to include independent thinking, educated younger people, preferably female business owners or better yet, teachers. While older housewives are sypathetic jurors, they are much less likely to vocalize their opinions and more likely to be intimidated by an older opionated male. Essentially, if they had a reasonable doubt, they may be afraid of appearing stupid if an older, assertive male is pushing for a conviction. The younger, working women (who have grown up in an era of greater gender equality) is not easily deterred from expressing her views. And her voice offers others encouragement to stick to a similar view.

Prosecutors like to get pit bulls (older, white, retired alpha males) to take charge in the deliberation room. The best stories about deliberations that I have heard from jurors after the case involved confrontations between younger working women and the retired males.