I think the St. Louis Family (my hometown) is a good example to answer your question. The StL media have portrayed the family as dead and dying, and there have not been any prosecutions or capers in the papers for years.

A while back the FBI reported there were only 5-7 guys still active. It was widely reported that they were involved in book making and loan sharking, and owned legit bars and restaurants, which was their main source of income. I agree with this assessment.

Recently, there have been reports that the St. Louis Family has made more members and has "sub contracted" the hands on criminal work to other ethnic gangs. I find it hard to believe.

Salviardi, a poster on the RD, created the chart below back in 2006. I understand it to be mostly correct, but "true" size and positions within the family are debatable. As you can see, most of these guys are old.

ADMINISTRATION:
Boss:Anthony "Nino" Parrino(76)
Underboss-Joseph "Joe" Cammarata(88)
Consigliere- Giacomo "Jack" Parrino(80)/Joseph "Joe" Pisciotta(88)

CAPTAINS:
Frank Palazzolo(67)
Vincent "Vinny" Cammarata(59)

GUYS UNDER PALAZZOLO:
Phillip "Philly" Palazzolo(60)
Richard Bommarito(63)
Anthony Olivastro(67)
Joseph Panneri(49)

GUYS UNDER CAMMARATA:
James Castellano(61)
Anthony "Tony L" Lopiparo(55)
Anthony "Tony" Tocco(60)
Joseph Tocco(?)
Vincent "Vince" Giordano(?/inactive)
Peter Orlando(?96?/inactive)

SICILIAN CREW:
Benedetto Geremia(68/made)
Angelo Copo(44/made)
1-2 others(not made guys)

EAST ST.LOUIS:
Fernando "Nondo" Bartolotta(55)/Antonio Lopiccolo(58)
Leo Bartolotta(51)
Thomas Consiglio(?)
Robert Trask(40)
Timothy Hinton(44)
1-3 more

ASSOCIATES STILL ALIVE(THAT I KNOW OF):
Peter Tocco(83)
Anthony James Lopiparo Jr.(75/i dont think he was ever made)
Daniel Drago(?)
Leo Pisciotta(?)
Leo Bartolotta(51)
Thomas Consiglio(?)
Timothy Hinton(44)
Robert Trask(40)
(?)Gianino Sr.(?)
(?)Gianino Jr.(?)
I was told they have around 20-30 associates

SIDE NOTES:
Giacomo Parrino is either brother/half brother/cousin to anthony parrino they are close.
Joe Pisciotta is basically retired and is a elder counsel voice in the family.
Vinny Cammarata is either nephew/cousin/cousins son to joe cammarata.
Anthony "Tony L" Lopiparo is related to the late Anthony Lopiparo sr. who died in 1960 i dont know just how yet though.
Anthony James Lopiparo is the son of late Anthony Lopiparo who died in 1960
Anthony Tocco is the son of Peter Tocco who is alive today. Anthony Tocco has a love of Baseball and did umpiring for a hobby in a softball league, he also has a room in his house filled with Cardinal Memorbilia.
Joseph Tocco still holds a union job today.
Vincent Giordano was the nephew of Anthony Giordano and is a made man and alive today. I was told hes under vinny cammarata if hes still active. i believe he is just another voice to weigh in on things and thats it.
Peter Orlando is made and alive but is inactive.
Phil Palazzolo is brother of frank and he also married a parrino relative.
Joseph Panneri is not joe"bull"panneri who died in 96, im guessing though most likely he is a relative named after him.
Benedetto Geremia and Angelo Copo are sicilian born. they are the only two of there small crew made into the st.louis family. There crew is somewhat indepedent of the stl family and have done jobs with russian gangsters in st.louis.
Nondo Bartolotta and antonio Lopiccolo run a small crew together based in East St.louis. From what i gathered Antonio got some "work" over there when Thomas Venezia went away to prison in the early 2000's, then nondo who just got out of prison recently, also is over there running the crew with antonio.
Leo Bartolotta is the brother of Nondo. He held legit jobs until the late 80's were he was seen alot with Nondo. He did some stealing with him to. Leo also gave a false alibi to the court to try and save Nondo.
Thomas Consiglio besides leo is the closest to Nondo of his Associates. Consiglio was Nondo's right hand man alot and was apart of the thief Gang.
Robert Trask and Timothy Hinton were close guys to Nondo. They were close to him before the bust on there Theft Racket.
The Gianino father and son thing. I cant find there first names yet. They are both Associates of the Palazzolo crew. They own Club Buca in st.louis. My sister is actually friends with a palazzolo relative and she has got in free to the club before.
Daniel Drago was an associate and is now currently Involved in St.louis politcis.
antonio lopiccolo is related to pat lopiccolo, how? im working on it
more to come.

Also this is just from research ive gathered,from some sources i know, and from lennert who help alot in this chart.This is most likely not 100% accurate, i dont know. St.louis is a hard place to find dirt on these guys.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.