Originally Posted By: mr. soprano
I finally gave in and started watching game of thrones two weeks ago. It took me 2 days to watch season 1 and the first four episodes of season 2. It's clear to say... i'm hooked! LOL

Should i be reading the books?

I would say so. The first three books are magnificent pieces of charged writing. The books are long but don't waste words. Martin stumbles a bit in book 4 and gets over-indulgent in book 5. What's important in the books is that since they are all written from the POV of one of the main , or occasionally minor characters, you get to see that most people have very limited information and their own biases to work through.

Since there are internal thoughts you can understand character motivations and actions a little better. For example it is easy in hindsight to dismiss Ned Stark as an honorbound goody two shoes who was dumb on top of everything else. But when you're in his head and only working from the often bad or incomplete info he had while trying to process his tragic past you get to understand some of the decisions he made.
I would warn you though-Martin wrote all of the children 3-4 years younger than they are in the show. This can get uncomfortable by modern standards so aging them up was a good change the show made. The show has humanized Cersei too much imo and made a few other not so good changes but I'll stop here.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.