Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
I read that Zimmerman is being charged with a hate crime which is death penalty eligible in Florida...this trial will be interesting.

I don't think it will come to a trial. At best, I see a plea bargain.

That's what I initially thought, Oli. But I think all of this new forensic evidence (Zimmerman's injuries and Trayvon's "bruised" knuckles) may just be enough to hang the jury. And Florida juries are unpredictable, to say the very least. So I have a feeling that Zimmerman's lawyers may decide to try this case after all.

Personally, I'd rather see a plea bargain, because the worst thing that can happen is if they try Zimmerman and he's acquitted. If that happens, there will almost certainly be riots (and not just in Florida).

I agree about Zimmerman's lawyers and I agree about a hung jury both as possibilities. I'm thinking misdemeanor assault. But I don't want the justice system being a function of popular intimidation.

I also think that comments about Zimmerman's behavior at the time as the encounter was takig place should be stated with caution. It's analogous to criticizing football officials for not calling a fumble because replay illustrated that it was.

Last edited by olivant; 05/17/12 02:03 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."