Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
With all gay talk in relation to the upcoming election, I'm shocked...SHOCKED...that nobody here has mentioned Obama's recent arrival (after his long journey of "evolving") to the conclusion that gays should be able to get married. whistle

I agree with him frankly. I have believed this for several years.If you had asked me twenty years ago, I would have said that legal (not necessarily religious) marriage should be limited to man and woman. But whether it was from years of seeing gays persecuted and discriminated against or witnessing them shatter the silly, societal stereotypes that had been forced upon them, I have concluded that they have the same right to commit to relationships as the law affords heterosexuals. The repeal of "don't ask/don't tell" and the growing awareness of the suffering of many young gays have further solidified my belief.

If anyone wants to call my change of position a flip flop, feel free. But it certainly is better than being shackled to a belief that betrays my conscience.