Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Originally Posted By: FaticoWestIslip
jc,
Interesting.. to me Gotti wasnt really that great of a criminal. (and apparently a brutal gambler. haha)I remember he said "best I did was go on a few hijackings". And he was arrested for at least one of the hijackings..I dont think he killed anyone with his own hands. (do we know of anyone?) Although I do think he was a natural born leader of men.

Your right about being a leader. Gotti was a big Machiavelli buff. He read the prince during his early year in the can and would always quote passages from it to other wiseguys.

Well Carlo was actually the big Machiavelli buff. Gotti did try to read Machiavelli but he wasn't exctly the smartest guy in the world lol. But there is a difference between having soldiers look up to you and being a good leader in my opinion. Sure people like gotti as a tough guy but im sure most of the higher ranking members didnt like the way he conducted buisness with the FBi always there

"A student of Niccolo Machiavelli, the Italian philosopher, Gambino had a habit of quoting from “The Prince.” Later while in prison, Gotti would also study the writings of Machiavelli, to the point where he could quote whole parables. Gotti strutted proudly in front of the Bergin crew as he relayed orders from the revered family boss."

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/mob_bosses/gotti/up_4.html

"When the Gambino capos met again before the end of the year, John Gotti was formally elected boss of the family. Fist co-conspirator Frank DeCicco made his nomination.

As a student of Machiavelli, Gotti had a good sense of who in his organization to put into positions of power. DeCicco became his under boss and he made Angelo head of the Bergin crew. Sammy officially took over all of Toddo's operations. Sammy was a very powerful man, but he preferred to remain a shadowy background figure, while Gotti and DeCicco visibly ran the show. Joseph Armone, the elderly capo who had become a member of the Fist, was given new sources of income. And consigliere Joe Gallo remained in his position under Gotti as he had under Paul Castellano.

Most importantly, Gotti understood the value of public relations. Unlike his predecessor and some of the other family bosses, Gotti realized that favorable publicity would enhance his standing with other Cosa Nostra families, with the members of his own family, and, very importantly, with potential jurors and witnesses. By charming the media, he was able to create a public image of himself as a legendary, almost heroic rogue. Yes, he was a gangster. That could not be denied. But to the public he was a popular and likeable guy -- the way Al Capone was revered on the streets of Chicago in 1930. Gotti was very media astute, a fact which confounded his enemies in law enforcement."

http://www.dark-horse.co.uk/john/johnpower.htm

None of these guys including Gambino were smart guys in the traditional sense (college, etc) but they held their own in their world.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.