I don't think there is fear of the mafia by gangbangers but the mob including the genovese,lucchese and other families have worked with gangs so I think there is a type of mutual respect between criminals. Plus i don't think the mob fears the gangs either unless their in prison the gangs are not in the mobs hangouts and restruants or upper class neighborhoods and the mob ins't in the ghettos or their nieghborhoods and the gangs sell drugs and the mob hasn't had any significant big drug trafficking stuff since the 70s and the gangs aren't into gambling and loansharking or labor racketeering so there ins't a huge competetion between the 2 crimninal cultures, so I don't think there is alot fear by either of them and even though there are cases where mob members have paid gangs for protection the mob and gangs aren't really criminal competitors or rival gangs so the whole idea of mob guys being extorted in prison doesn't happen that often and there are alot of mob guys in prisons and they group together too and try to get stuff smuggled in for them so there not top dogs in prisons but there not being extorted all the time or treated like snitches or pedophiles