Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: olivant
In Field of Dreams, why did the young doc turn into the old doc?

It's called aging. It happens to everyone. Except Adriana LaCerva.

Of course, in Adriana's case that's true. But, Ray picked him up as as young man, right, and he played ball with the ghosts as a young man. I missed the part that explains that he was the elderly doc. How did he become young again?

Spoiler Alert Below!

Costner was following a vision about a marginal player of a past era, named Moonlight Graham, who never got to play. Searching for the present day Graham, Costner learned that he had become a well-respected, small town doctor, who had died years earlier. Nonetheless, when the confused Costner stepped outside for a breath of fresh air, he encountered the aged ghost of kindly Doc Graham. Costner tried to convince him to return to Iowa with him, that he was supposed to bring him to the field to relive his dream, but Graham declined.

On the drive to Iowa with Terrence Mann (James Earl Jones), they picked up a young hitchhiker, and soon discovered that the kid was the young ghost of Moonlight Graham, lost in the 1920s,who said that he heard there were some teams in the farm towns looking for players.

They took him to the field where he joined the other ghosts for a game, and got the at-bat he had always dreamed of during his life.

After playing on the field, he was compelled to leave the field to provide medical care for Costner's daughter. At that moment he turned into the aged doctor, never able to return to play again.

I think I got it right.