Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
That said, when you're neighborhood watch, you're basically a glorified security guard. You observe and report. It seems Zimmerman went beyond that and confronted Trayvon in the first place, which set him off. In other words, Zimmerman overstepped his bounds.

When I took my Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) course, the instructor emphasized responsibilities as well as rights, and when not to shoot vs. when to shoot. He said that 80% of all shooting situations are ambiguous at best. He also said that having a CCW isn't a license to become a vigilante or a self-proclaimed security guard without serious law enforcement training.

Exactly. There was a better way Zimmerman could have handled it. Which is why he should be charged, in my opinion.

You wanna know what I honestly think happened?

Zimmerman saw a young black kid in a hoodie - whether he looked high or not is up for debate - and assumed he was up to no good. Trayvon probably recognized this and it pissed him off. But if you're Trayvon, you don't verify Zimmerman's assumptions by turning into the stereotypical violent, young, black male. You prove him wrong by just ignoring him. Or, if he confronts you, be civil and polite and don't give him any reason to have further suspicion.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.