That his attorneys called a news conference to announce their intent to withdraw is mind boggling, and coupled with their representations about Zimmerman's apparent lack of cooperation, could constitute a violation of the Canon of Ethics.

First, an attorney can not just decide to withdraw representation; he or she must receive express representation from the court. This is not automatic. More than once I have been compelled to represent a client where my firm petitioned for withdrawal, based on failure of my client to pay fees.

Once the petition to withdraw is approved, the attorney, though not representing the client, may still not disclose any information remotely relative to the attorney/client relationship. Thjat is a privilege enjoyed by the client.

It is bizarre that the attorneys would throw Zimmerman under the bus at a news conference.

Moreover, Zimmerman's alleged communications with a news show host and the special prosecutor, though ill-advised, would not be a basis, on which a judge would allow a withdrawal of counsel. Similarly, that Zimmerman has apparently gone into hiding and become difficult to contact would not normally be enough to allow a petition to withdraw.