I think Vito's remark to Tom is both a father tweaking his son that "Don't think because I'm older that I'm forgetful or didn't do my own investigation" and a not so subtle hint from a boss to a subordinate that his answer to Solozzo would be no.

Vito had contempt for men who allowed their passions to rule them (buyers of sex and/or adulterers, junkies) and even more disdain for people who made money from them. So, especially since his position atop the underworld seemed secure it wasn't that difficult a decision for him to make.

If it were 20 years prior? More difficult to say. He did protect and take into his service a man who killed women and killed his own child. So Vito's "scruples" aren't as important in every circumstance. But no I think the character honestly didn't want to get involved in drug-peddling for moral and practical reasons. He didn't have as much to gain as Solozzo did.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.