Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Sorry, that's BS. He's friendly with a couple of blacks? Maybe that's what he does for his public persona, but the rants bring out the true man. Only a racist uses racist slurs. Those terms are not allowed in my home, neither are people who use them, and I've taught my children to never associate with people who use those terms. That's the only way to eradicate it, teach your children.

The rants certainly didn't show his best side. More like him at his worst moments. But I don't think any of us would like to be judged at our worst moments alone. And while one could argue that Mel did the Lethal Weapon movies with Danny Glover for his career, he never really "got anything" out of being friends with Whoopi Goldberg for years. Don't take my word for it. Whoopi came to Mel's defense after the tapes came out and said that he's not racist. You're looking at this too black and white, no pun intended. Only racists use racial slurs? Hardly. There's obviously been many people who have used a racial slur here or there but don't really believe the race they were referring to is naturally inferior or that their race is naturally superior. This is what I mentioned before. The racist accusation has become so widespread, applied to just about anything, that it's lost it's real meaning.

Quote:
Mel worships Christ so much, he would know that Jesus taught that we are all God's children, that He loves us all and that we can all find our way to His side. Apparently, Mel thinks that being raped by blacks is the worst thing that could happen to a white woman, since that's what he wished on the mother of his child. That doesn't sound like he loves his fellow man the way that Jesus did.

If you listen to the tapes, Mel wasn't "wishing" his girlfriend would get raped. He was simply taking the easy, stereotypical route of dangerous black guys to get his point across.

Also, I don't believe Mel ever claimed to be perfect. But I respect the guy because he recognizes his need for a Savior. In fact, it's probably because of his demons that he sees his need for Christ that much more. I'll take someone like that over the secular, politically correct, humanist, intellectual who sees Christ as just another moral teacher (if they believe He existed at all) any day.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.