I agree that Montagna played a main part in this. I was mainly saying that some people put too much stock in that the whole Bonanno family is behind it and trying to take over. But also a curious question is how close are the Bonannos in Montreal to those in New York? Vito has been in Canada, he never lived in the US so how connected is he to the U.S wiseguys. Some people in this discussion have said things like its a guy in Manhattan pulling the strings behind this and stuff like that.

For those who believe in the New York cleaning house theory:

I think its mostly canadian oc groups responsible because for the Bonannos the risk outweighs the gain and an interesting question is why now, why not in the late 90s when Vito first started going some what independent and the bonannos where a hell of alot stronger then. The Bonannos today have a little over 100 made guys with about 40-60 active on the street after you take out those who are in prison which to go to war would bring heat and Rizzuto has about that many guys to do his bidding. If they did decide to clean house the whole family would have been notified, all the capos and many soldiers and the other 5 families would find out including informants and the FBI would know about it