Originally Posted By: Lilo
Kiss & Motley Crue Attack Rihanna

Quote:
We're sick and tired of girls getting up there with dancers and karaoke tapes in back of them," Simmons told the crowd at the press conference, reports Billboard.com. "No fake bull***t. Leave that to the Rihanna, Shmianna and anyone who ends their name with an 'A.'"

The ironic thing of course is that although Kiss was a fantastically commercially successful band in their heyday they were not widely considered then or now to be excellent or frankly even good musicians. They were known for exalting the stage show above any other consideration. Simmons in particular was known to be a greedy SOB who cared much more about the dollar signs and bs stage performances than anything having to do with music. In short KISS was EXACTLY what they are accusing Rihanna of being.

And that goes DOUBLE for Motley Crue who really were the 80's equivalent of the Jackson Five, The Partridge Family, Peter Frampton, etc-something safe and musically lame but that was loved by teen girls and sold bazillions of records because of that. No one talks about the musical honesty of Motley Crue or what skilled musicians they were. People talk about the various groupies they had, what they looked like in their tight pants and long hair, and their copious consumption of drugs and alcohol. They were EXACTLY the sort of "hair band" that was mocked by the 90's grunge movement.

I am not a Rihanna fan. I don't like or dislike her music. It's just not my thing.

But this idea that it's not "real" music unless you're playing a guitar thru an overdriven amp is silly. There is an jealousy that you see in a lot of rock bands. On the one hand they claim to be of greater musical integrity as compared to pop/dance. But on the other they are insanely jealous of the fact that dance-pop is what is in right now. Jazz, blues, classical musicians and others could make the same claims of musical fraudulence about rock in general and KISS/Motley Crue in particular that Simmons makes about Rihanna. A wealthy senior citizen wearing makeup, high heels and spitting fire/fake blood is going to criticize the musical integrity of a singer? Right...........

Lastly, anyone with the mellifluous name of Chaim Witz rolleyes certainly has no business making fun of other's names. lol

Got my tickets. Gonna see them September 22 at Jones Beach. Seen KISS before, never seen Motley Crue