Great lists! The Winter Hill gang list is especially impressive - I hadn't even heard of a lot of those guys.

Some notes about the North Side gang:

Quote:
1. Dean "Dion" O' Banion (1910-1924) First boss, murdered in 1924.

Charles Reiser was the de facto boss of these guys before O'Banion.

Quote:
2. Earl "Hymie" Weiss (1910-1926) A lieutenant, murdered in 1926.

His real name was "Henry Earl Wojciechowski", and he was the boss when killed.

Quote:
4. George "Bugs" Moran (1910-1935) Second boss, became boss after Dion O' Banion was murdered in 1924, moved out of town in 1935.

His real name was Adelard Cunin. Hymie Weiss and Schemer Drucci preceded him as boss. He became boss after Drucci was killed by Detective Healy.

Quote:
5. Samuel "Nails" Morton (1910-1922) A soldier, murdered in 1922.

He was kicked in the head by a horse, not murdered. Then Louis Alterie whacked the horse. lol

Quote:
9. Frank "Tight Lips" Gusenburg (1914-1929) A tough Jewish soldier, murdered in 1929 at the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.
10. Peter Gusenberg (1914-1929) A tough Jewish soldier, brother of Frank Gusenberg, murdered in 1929 at the St Valentine's Day Massacre.

IIRC, the Gusenbergs were German-American, not Jewish, but don't hold me to that. I think Frank's mob nickname was "Hock", and the media came up with that "Tight Lips" thing after he refused to talk following the St. Valentine's Day massacre, but don't hold me to that, either. ohwell

Quote:
13. Ted Newburry (1919-1933) A lieutenant, murdered in 1933.

Newberry also defected to the Outfit.

Quote:
14. Albert "Gorilla Al" Weinshank (1920-1929) A soldier, murdered in 1929 at the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

His real last name was Weinshenker, FWIW.

Also, this is silly nitpicking, but anyway only a small fraction of the North Siders were Irish-American. It was a multiethnic mob that has come to be (somewhat incorrectly) identified as an "Irish Mob" due to the prominence of O'Banion and the mistaken belief that Moran was Irish (he was, believe it or not, French). I think Ragen's Colts (under the leadership of Ralph Sheldon) might have been the biggest full-blown "Irish Mob" in Chicago at the time.

Last edited by Ivan; 03/09/12 03:45 AM.