State cuts benefits for lottery winner

Quote:
A statement issued Wednesday evening from department Director Maura Corrigan said Clayton is "now no longer receiving benefits," but it was unclear when the action was taken.

"DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status," she said. "If they are not, and continue to accept benefits, they may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those benefits."

After taking a $700,000 lump sum and paying taxes, Clayton pocketed about $500,000 and bought a new home and car, Euline Clayton said.

News of Amanda Clayton remaining on food stamps was first reported this week by WDIV-TV (Channel 4). In an interview, the single mother of two said she's still "struggling" after winning big on the Michigan Lottery's "Make Me Rich!" television show.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton told WDIV. "I feel that it's OK because I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.