Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
just some background info

In early February 2006, Hamas offered Israel a 10-year truce "in return for a complete Israeli withdrawal from the occupied Palestinian territories: the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem," and recognition of Palestinian rights including the "right of return."

After the election, the Quartet on the Middle East (the United States, Russia, the European Union (EU), and the United Nations) stated that assistance to the Palestinian Authority would only continue if Hamas renounced violence, recognized Israel, and accepted previous Israeli-Palestinian agreements, which Hamas refused to do.The Quartet then imposed a freeze on all international aid to the Palestinian territories.

In 2006 after the Gaza election, Hamas leader sent a letter addressed to George Bush where he among other things declared that Hamas would accept a state on the 1967 borders including a truce. However, the Bush administration didnt reply.

In an interview on May 2010, Mashaal said that if a Palestinian state with real sovereignty was established under the conditions he set out, on the borders of 1967 with its capital Jerusalem and with the right of return, that will be the end of the Palestinian resistance, and then the nature of any subsequent ties with Israel would be decided democratically by the Palestinians.

In July 2009, Khaled Meshal, Hamas's political bureau chief, stated Hamas's willingness to cooperate with a resolution to the Arab-Israeli conflict which included a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders, provided that Palestinian refugees be given the right to return to Israel and that East Jerusalem be recognized as the new state's capital.

The Palestinians have been wanting a return to the 1967 borders ever since, well, their 1967 attack on Israel failed. They attack Israel, Israel kicks their butts and takes more land, and afterward the Palestinians are like, "Oh, never mind. Let's just pretend like none of this ever happened." And so Israel is supposed to give away land they've had for over 40 years in return for what? A meaningless 10 year promise of peace? Then what? Seriously, Dapper, open your eyes. I realize you're an Obama fan but you've bought into the liberal bullshit that paints Israel as the tyrant and the Palestinians as the victim.

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
technically, al-qaeda wants to destroy america for a number of reasons chiefly our undying support both militarily and economically for israel, the "occupation of arab lands" eg Saudi Arabia, etc by US troops, and outrage toward the U.S. for being a secular, domineering presence in the Arab world

again in not saying i hate israel or anything like that (i dont, i have lots of close jewish friends) i am just sharing some comments as I see things

What's ironic is, ol' Bin Laden and his mujahideen buddies were fine with U.S. assistance in their war against the Soviet Union. But afterward? Get out! The Muslim world does have a lot of ground to talk as far as the immoral, corrupt, secular influence of the west. But, then again, many of these Muslim countries in the middle east have been dysfunctional dictatorships who run things by fear, torture, murder, etc. Israel, and the U.S. support of it, has been the least of their problems. But for years they allowed their tyrant leaders to keep their focus on what they claimed was the source of all their problems - Israel.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 03/06/12 08:41 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.