SB, your source may have been mistaken about the Tony award. I checked the Internet Broadway Database website, and here is what I found:

I hadn't known this, but Davy Jones was, indeed, the Artful Dodger in the original Broadway production of Oliver! that opened in January, 1963. It closed (after switching theaters during its run) in November, 1964. He was nominated for a Tony award as "Best Featured Actor in a Musical", but, according to the IBDb, did not win.

An aside: Why did the show switch theaters less than two months before it closed? Because the theater they were in had been previously booked for a new musical arriving in September, 1964 - a little something called Fiddler on the Roof.

Another aside: In August, 1965, the show (with a substantially different cast, and without Davy Jones) returned to Broadway for seven weeks, in what was called a "return engagement" rather than a "revival." In the ensemble, playing one of the people of London, was an unknown young actor named Dominic Chianese.

TIS, you're thinking of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, but a quick search did not turn up any evidence that he was in any productions of it. Donny Osmond, yes - but Davy Jones? I may have to keep looking on this one.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."