Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: Mark
We always hear so much about the best guitarist, best drummer, best band and best vocalist. But how about the greatest bassists? In your guys opinion, who are some of the best bass players past or present?

For my money, and I'm no expert by any means, it's John Entwistle of the Who. I'm guessing a bass solo was virtually unheard of when he pulled it off brilliantly in My Generation.

Jack Bruce of Cream and Bootsy Collins are often mentioned among the best, and I agree. James Jamerson, who played with Marvin Gaye, gets much deserved credit too.

Paul McCartney's bass playing in the Beatles may be overshadowed by his vocals and song writing ability, but he stands firmly with the the best of the bassists. His bass playing on the Lennon tunes, Dear Prudence, Glass Onion and She's So Heavy is sublime. His bassline in another Lennon song, Come Together, may be the most iconic bassline in rock history.

you could also put Les Claypool in that category. His bass work on Primus' stuff is really well and he has a very distinct style of playing.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"