I'll admit, even as a partial liberal I'm sorta tired of these "GOP are doomed this fall" articles coming out of mostly Democratic-leaning media. I say that only because I fear it's become a mindless meme, repeat an idea enough times and it becomes our reality, short of necessary informed independent thought and verification.

That said, I'll post this lengthy, long article that's a must read.

Quote:
"...many Republicans "are already looking past 2012. If either Romney or Santorum gains the nomination and then falls before Obama, flubbing an election that just months ago seemed eminently winnable, it will unleash a GOP apocalypse on November 7 -- followed by an epic struggle between the regulars and red-hots to refashion the party. And make no mistake: A loss is what the GOP's political class now expects."

http://nymag.com/news/features/gop-primary-heilemann-2012-3/

Scariest detail is a predix by a GOPer that if Mittens is the fall nominee and loses, the person most ripe to take advantage in '16 will be...Sarah Palin. I disagree, but there is some logic to that argument as put forward. (Same with the idea that if Santorum gets the nod and crashes, Christie and Daniels will greatly benefit.)

The real damning piece, the one that everybody else is highlighting, comes from GOP strategist Ed Rollins, who of course managed Reagan's 1984 re-election campaign:

Quote:
"Six months before this thing got going, every Republican I know was saying, 'We're gonna win, we're gonna beat Obama.' Now even those who've endorsed Romney say, "My God, what a fucking mess."'

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 02/26/12 01:55 AM.