I can't remember who said it but some commentator said that two party democracy is bad enough, we don't need one party democracy.

I halfway hope that Santorum gets the nomination and proceeds to alienate people with his moralizations about sex , womens' rights and contraceptives. If he loses in the fall and I think he would, it might force Republicans to give up some of those particular obsessions. Because we do need a multi-party democracy. We don't need one party captured by someone who has issues with contraception and thinks you should too. Again-religious freedom arguments or individual liberty arguments can work with voters. Puting women back in the social position they enjoyed circa 1959 won't work with voters.

Yes some of that is a caricature of Santorum's positions but not really by all that much. If he wants to fight and die on the hill of going back to pre Vatican II worldview, that's his call. But I think Republicans would be making a big mistake to follow him. No one can see the future of course but there could well be a SC position opening up in the next four years. If Santorum is the nominee, I will virtually guarantee that Obama will be making that SC pick.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.