I think what Smurph was trying to get across is that there has ben associates whom have achieved a level of power, influence and clout that rivals the "real capos". Sort of functioning as unofficial wings of a LCN family. It's a matter of semantics. Obviously, not everyone in law enforcement (especially at that time) was aware of the nuances of the LCN. Which is the reason in some reports. Generic terms like lieutenant, kingpin get thrown around (the media is guilty of this as wel). I don't find it impossible, that on one of these reports someone might have suggested a very influential Irish gangster with deep ties to Bruno as a "capo".

We know that the standard to be made is to have some Italian blood on your father's side. Rules have been getting less and less stringent these days. Don't think Smurph ever suggested persons of non-Italian ancestry were ever made. Only that non-Italians associates over the years have achieved a status that superseded a made man or a traditional capo, in terms of influence.

Why is it so impossible to believe, that a character like Shundler has forged a bond so strong with the top guys in Genovese, that media or LEO can mis attribute him as an Irish "captain", due to his close ties with the Italians and possible his own muscle.

LCN is a money making machine. And everyone is invited to partake in the spoils. As long as the family get an extra slice working with you, I'm sure being made only matters to the Italian cugines street guys who want to move up and the times when the cultural protocols that go along with made guy status (Which these days aren't like they used to be so anyway) has to be enforced.

Smurph's apparently from Philly. And I'll take that information at face value over any doubts that a non-local would have due to posturing and debating wording on rank terms. To get back on topic: All signs point to these guys being very real and involved in OC and working alongside the Italians.