The hammer has dropped, and the Mittens SuperPac are starting their TV carpet campaign against Santorum. Their strategy as reported to Buzz Feed:

Quote:
A Mitt Romney adviser told BuzzFeed about the campaign's coming "two-front attack" on Rick Santorum which "may make previous attacks on Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich look like mere love taps."

Said the adviser: "Santorum's a blank slate, so everyone's projecting on to him what they want because he's the last anti-Romney. Santorum is going to get introduced to people that don't know him."

First, he'll be compared to President Obama: "He's never run anything. The biggest thing he ever ran is his Senate office."

Second, he'll be painted as a creature of Washington: "They're going to hit him very hard on earmarks, lobbying, voting to raise the federal debt limit five times. The story of Santorum is going to be told over the next few weeks in a big way."

That first charge is, am I the only one who thinks it reads weak? At least Santorum was elected to two full Senate terms, 8-9 more years than Obama had when he left. Worse, Santorum can easily deflect that charge. I mean Mittens, remember when you wanted to join the Senate too once before Teddy Kennedy murdered your dream?

The rest, I don't know. The only real weapon might be the lobbying charge if there is actually something to it. Of course Santorum could point to that NYT article reporting Mittens surrounding himself with an army of lobbyists. (and the potential backfiring: see Mr. Talent above.) Not saying it will, but it's there.

The rest just feels meh. Maybe its because after Newt, in comparison it reads rather boring and mundane petty Congress shit instead of scandalous. Few resumes can match Newt in the slime department.

But really, the lobbying might amount to something if it's a Freddie Mac situation. Might.

EDIT - come to think of it, strange how Mittens arguably is handicapped against Santorum because alot of his obvious, real sore points that Democrats would attack with glee...Mittens can't or won't because it's a party primary. Who knows, maybe he'll go for it?

EDIT 2 - Here's the first SuperPac ad:

Ok the "51-0" number was actually pretty good. Rick's people need to fight that. But wow he voted with Hillary! on Something! I've seen better.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 02/14/12 11:48 PM.