Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
Originally Posted By: m2w
i'm talking in general not of a single area
the truth is that the just doesnt have the same pull in this country as it did even a few decades ago. they are still the top dogs when it comes to bookmaking, gambling ect but as far as unrivaled power and influence its just not the case over here anymore. the northeast is the american mafias last stronghold and even there the influence is weakened. the government still goes after them hard but it seems to me its more of a pr move at this point. im not trying to argue, just enlighten. i dont claim to know whats going on in italy and maybe you should be a little more open minded as these boards are for learning.

Exactly. The Mafia (LCN) still has this reputation in a lot of people's minds as being this all-powerful and unrivaled criminal group that makes every other criminal group run scared. In many guys minds, a made man can walk on water. I mean, I don't worship criminals or extoll the virtues of any criminal group, but to me, the facts are clear: The American Mafia has not been the top criminal group in the USA for a long time. There's way too much competition. Changing demographics played a huge role. LCN lost its influence in the prisons, too. Lewisburg no longer has a Mafia Row. Nowadays, LCN members in the can have to use other ethnic groups for protection.