Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/0...l#disqus_thread

I know the LDS have been caught going into graveyards, converting Catholic and Jewish graves (especially Holocaust victims) into the Church of Salt Lake, but I personally never suspected Mittens' own clique doing it themselves. Might explain the LDS' healthy membership growth rate.

Sorry to interject here but, as a member of the LDS Church, the above is misleading to say the least. Not sure where you got the "going into the graveyards" bit.

Here it is in a nutshell. The names of deceased persons are submitted to the LDS Church, usually by living family members or close friends who are members of the Church. Certain ordinances are done for them in LDS temples, including baptism by proxy. The belief is, it gives those who never had a chance to hear and accept the Gospel while they were alive, an opportunity to do so while they are in the spirit world or afterlife. Or to accept it after the fact, even if they had initially rejected it in mortality. Since you need to have a body to be baptized, obviously it has to be done by someone in their behalf who is living. They can also be married to their spouses and sealed to their families via proxy.

The idea that the LDS Church is somehow forcibly converting anybody is ludicrous. The work in the temples is done for them but that certainly doesn't mean they lose their free will, with which they can accept or reject it on the other side. It basically comes down to this - if what the Church is doing is true, than it's a great service for the whole world. If not, then it really has no effect for good or bad anyway.

Certain enemies of the Church know this very well and yet choose to take offense anyway. It was they who made a big stink about the Church doing proxy baptisms for deceased Jewish people, including Holocaust victims. But the Church and Jewish leaders came to an agreement on that. And, for the record, the Church doesn't count the dead among it's membership rolls.

Anyway, not trying to proselytize here. Just setting the record straight. Which I imagine we'll have to do a lot more if Romney is ultimately elected.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 01/28/12 05:29 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.