Originally Posted By: antimafia
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
So I guess we could erase Gallo from the list as one who could succeed as boss in Montreal. Could his decision have something to do with the current situation in Montreal?

[snip]
Gallo's deportation seemed inevitable, even with his attempts to fight it; the article mentions he finally gave up the fight. I'm sure he would rather have stayed in Canada, just as Sal Montagna would have preferred to stay in the US. (And we should recall that, after voluntarily choosing to be deported to Canada and settling in Montreal, Montagna tried through his lawyer to return to the US.)

Now, if we're asking whether Gallo is better off living in Italy, are we asking whether he'll be safer? Happier he'll be out of the fray? Relieved he won't be questioned by Canadian law enforcement about all the murders and attempted murders? Perhaps we should wait to see whether his lawyer will mount a legal challenge to return to Canada, but I doubt the challenge will happen.

My hunch was wrong.

Link to article: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/01/25/19294266.html

Deported killer wants to return
By QMI Agency
January 25, 2012

MONTREAL — A suspected adviser to the Rizzuto crime family, who agreed to be deported to Italy, has done an about-face and now wants a Federal Court judge to approve his return to Canada.

Moreno Gallo, a convicted murderer and popular baker in Montreal's Little Italy neighbourhood, filed the motion days after his expulsion on Jan. 4.

The Canada Border Services Agency says Gallo has an "active implication in organized crime."

The 66-year-old had said through his lawyer that he'd rather live in Europe than face assassination amid an ongoing purge of top Rizzuto figures.

But in court documents filed in Winnipeg, Gallo says he is known as an upstanding citizen in Montreal, where he immigrated when he was nine years old....