I totally agree with Ivy. I'm from the suburbs of Youngstown, OH and now live outside of Boston. When I moved up here, I had kept hearing how the New England Family was so active and in such great shape, but it was the FBI and other media sources blowing it out of proportion. When u walk down Atwells Ave on Federal Hill, there are still some nickel dime wiseguys around and the same goes for Boston's North End, but the family is now being decimated by indictments. Over the last year, the hierarchy of the organization has either been indicted, cooperated with the FBI or has gone to prison. Luigi Manocchio was one of the most powerful bosses in the country with a lot of support from NY and Chicago. Now that he is awaiting trial, and with his top hierarchy cooperating, I think New England will begin the attrition process that so many other smaller families inevitably go through...just like Detroit and Buffalo. Besides NY and Chicago which are both truly on the decline, la cosa nostra's lifespan may be 20 years "at best." There will always be gambling and extortion, but the structure of the families will suffer immensely. Law Enforcement has too much money, time and knowledge and have been decapitating mafia organizations all over the World. Although I love discussing the topic, it will eventually go away and never be like it was in its heyday.

Last edited by JCB1977; 01/16/12 02:17 PM.