Originally Posted By: JCB1977
Mike Genovese also had no competition and controlled eastern Ohio, West Virginia and all of western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh was strong at that time and dominated their region. Net worth was estimated to be $12-$15 million. Scarfo was not a boss for that long and his family was at war on the street for quite some time, somost of their operations were suspended. Plus Mike Genovese was dominating the drug trade in the region. I still don't think Mike Genovese was as strong as LaRocca or Gabriel Mannarino. Scarfo had to bend over and take it up the ass from some of the New York families and split gambling operations and other rackets with Decavalcantes in Jersey. Scarfo was a whack job, the Gotti of Philly. Stanfa would have had more discipline and was much more calculating and business minded.

I consider Mike Genovese one of the great Mafia success stories, in that he completely got away with it and almost never went to prison. So he's like Accardo and Gambino and likely had tons of assets no one even knows about.

Though you're right that Genovese couldn't have been as strong as LaRocca, since the generational attrition was really starting to kick in when Genovese took over.

I disagree about your assessment of Scarfo's business/managerial skills though - by all accounts he was an activist boss who made tons of money for himself and his men. But yes his violent nature was his undoing.