First of all, thanx for replying!

I think we recognize art everyday. We appreciate concepts and delivery based on our world view. Emotions come into play if we find it enjoyable. Ballet is very artistic in my eyes but it doesn't touch my heart. I do not enjoy watching ballet unless my girlfriend is dancing.

As far as films go, there are movies like "Citizen Kane" which embody artistic vision through cold, almost un-artistic approach. What you describe as "harmonious" and "uniform strenghts" is exactly why I fail to connect on a personal level. All the movies I rank as masterpieces have one thing in common: contrast.

I believe the average viewer seek contrast in every movie. In every novel and every song. Concepts are best delivered through contrast. We wouldn't have this great discussion here were we one and the same. Unity is boring.

"Citizen Kane" is not a friendly movie. And I'm not that clever. I had to "study" the movie in order to fully appreciate what is offered. But why should I care in the first place? how do you think the movie seduces its audience to unfold its greatness? why should I care about "Rosebud" more than any other unknown word, name, or concept?

---

Thanx for all the links. I think lists are important, but I think long lists need to be categorized. I find it impossible to throw in 100 names, then compare every name with 99 other movies. There is too much room for uncertainty. I'll post a top 30 if you want.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)