Misc. News & Notes:

*Kool & The Gang will be the opening act for Van Halen's upcoming tour.

*R. Kelly's album coming out in March has been renamed Write Me Back, after the original title Black Panties got negative press.

*Speaking of VH, Eddie Van Halen donated 75 guitars to L.A. public schools and their recently budget-gutted music departments.

*Madonna's upcoming 12th studio album now has a title: MDNA Going around is also the alleged album cover.

And from the Making Money Off Old Music newsdesk...

Boutique Music buys publishing rights to Six Beatles Songs

Quote:
In most corners of the music business, a deal to administer the music publishing rights for six songs half a century old wouldn’t be very remarkable. But when it involves the Beatles, there’s no such thing as a minor deal.

Nearly 50 years after being acquired by an enterprising American publisher, the North American publishing rights for six early Beatles songs — including “I Saw Her Standing There” and “She Loves You” — have been sold to a year-old boutique music publisher, Round Hill Music, for an undisclosed sum.

Round Hill joined with the Adage Group, another holder of historic music copyrights, to buy those songs in a deal for the GIL Music and GPS Music catalogs. The catalogs had been controlled by the Pincus family, a team of New York publishers that cut a special deal for the Beatles songs in 1963, after one of the Pincus sons, Leonard, saw the group in England.

The deal allows Round Hill and Adage to collect songwriting royalties and licensing income for the songs, which also include “Misery,” “From Me to You,” “There’s a Place” and “I Wanna Be Your Man.” The rights are restricted to the United States and Canada, but for such popular songs the arrangement could be worth millions of dollars.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-beatles-songs/

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 01/11/12 10:22 PM.