According to AFI (American film institute), "Citizen Kane" is the greatest american movie of all time. Some will say the greatest movie of all time. Yet hardly anyone I know ever gave it a second watch. "Casablanca" and "The Godfather" (2nd/3rd place on the list) are far more popular and admired by the average viewer, but the list isn't based on popular vote.

Critics and film buffs may come up with lists of reasons why Kane is the finest film, but it will not convince most of you and it will not convince me as well. On paper, you can argue all bits and pieces to perfection. But unlike "Casablanca" and "Godfather", Kane fails to make the viewer care. Or maybe we are the ones who fail to care?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people complaining, that Kane was the most boring movie they've ever watched.

Should we rank a movie based on how much we enjoyed it?

Does personal taste matter?

Can art be appreciated if no emotions are involved?

How come people usually list "Citizen Kane" as one of the greatst movies, if they personally can't stand it?

I think the movie is conscious about the lack of chemistry with most viewers. More than that, I think "Rosebud" was carefully chosen to serve as glue between you and your seat. The info which is out in the open is interesting but spiceless, despite the high quality. Only through mystery, the hidden secret, the desire to find out the meaning of Rosebud, only throught that can we care and not only appreciate.

Over the years we've had endless discussions about why we make a list of "best movies" in addition to "favorite movies", or why we should only have one list. And there we usually find everyone listing Kane in "best movies" yet never in "fav movies".

How many can truly explain why they think it is one of the best? would you still list it had you not learned of its reputation?

But I'm not one against two lists; I don't think I'd love to rewatch every movie I appreciate. They don't have to be my favs.

Die Hard is a movie I'd love to rewatch again and again, but it's pretty simple and light. It is fun, it is entertaining. But artistically it doesn't offer much. There's no real content to work with.

Kane has more content; but it fails to connect to most viewers like Die Hard.

Or maybe the audience should not be part of the equation?

--

What do you guys think?

also, please mention how many times you've watched "Citizen Kane". That should be interesting. I saw it three times; I've no desire to watch it again anytime soon.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)