Ever since the death of Steve Jobs, I see more and more articles on how he changed the world, what a great artist he was, and lately I've read this RIDICULOUS comparison between Jobs and Da Vinci claiming that Jobs is "the modern Da Vinci"...

Is that so?

I don't mind the Jobs festival really. The iPhone generation is free to admire and praise the guy all day long. Build as many statues as you like. But at least know that art isn't measured through functions and aesthetics alone, but mostly through ideas.

Of course, there's artistic vision through all his creations. The "clean simplicity" of Apple, the friendly-looking devices. Jobs was more of a fashion designer than an artist or inventor. He was a brilliant businessman who knew how to approach the buyers -- be it by classy Apple commercials or the simple jeans he used to wear.

With minimalism as governing rule, with iTunes as sole option, closed-circle computers, and overall secrecy...creativity is but an illusion.

But toys will be toys, and iPhone is one hell of a toy. A toy for all ages. Is it also a phone? who cares? is it a piece of art? no, it's a collection of functions packed in fine-lookin box. It does not provoke thoughts, ideas, emotions, like some of Da Vinci's paintings. Perhaps some of the apps could be considered as pieces of art, but the medium, the iPhone itself, is irrelevant in that context.

Years from now, the iPhone will be obsolete. You will put it next to the old B&W TV you still have in the old garage. It cannot be considered an art if it isn't ageless, and we all know it's only a matter of time before all of these super cool products will be replaced.

But you can't replace the Mona Lisa, can't you?

So who are the artists of our generation? Jobs? Zuckerberg?

Tell me it's not a matter of time until I read a new article comparing Zuckerberg to Michelangelo.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)