Frosty - thanx!

Well let's not make it a U.S-Europe comparison only. But if we're at it, we need to check whether europeans travel much outside of Europe. It would be interesting to know how many U.S tourists have been to Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile compared to Europeans. Maybe that will answer if it's only a matter of geography.

The fact that one lives in a huge country should not affect the desire to visit and explore different countries. If you grow up dreaming about Paris, it doesn't matter if you haven't been to Arizona or Texas, or if you've got 49 states to visit.

If touring the world is some sort of a nice thought rather than actual plan, then that's what I mean by mentality. I speak to people from different countries who say that they all knew that at this and that point in life, they will travel the world like everyone else in their country. That's part of the "plan" I mentioned - it's deeply rooted in their lives, this "trip" they are SUPPOSED to do.

Each nation has its culture and habits; if everyone around you is doing something or love something, most chances you'll do it as well. If you ask non-americans and non-indians about baseball, for example, most will tell you it's the most boring game they've ever watched. Even if you sit and explain why it's so great they will most likely fall asleep. Because it's a cultural sport above anything else. It's part of the american identity.

This identity is composed of many elements; touring the world is not one of them.

You can do it, and maybe everyone in your circle does it as well, like SB mentioned...but if most americans don't have a passport, then it's hard to say tourism is part of american culture.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)