Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I have to concur with Mark here. When I was working at Polygram Records in the mid '90s I was pretty much a beginner and there were people doing some amazing things in animation, even then. It always intimidated me so I never pursued it -- and I'm kicking myself to this day. I have Photoshop down, and Illustrator and Flash aren't too bad (yet still complex), but mastering them really is very necessary if she plans on having a lucrative career (if that's her goal). Of course, being a starving artist is admirable, and I know she won't starve at your house lol, but I would also encourage her to embrace the technological side of the field. At least she should take some classes in that direction among the others....

Amen, J Geoff. The more applications she can learn, the better off she will be. The big one right now for me is Adobe InDesign. I am much better versed in Illustrator but a full dive into InDesign is what I need. It is the new Quark in print design. Don't get me wrong - it is always great to have natural hand drawing/painting/coloring talent but there just doesn't seem to be much of a demand for it these days. Granted there are hand drawn illustration careers few & far between (children's book illustrator, etc.) but the majority of the time those hand drawn pieces are scanned at a hi resolution and colored/altered in a dozen different apps. Before I was thrown into the digital aspect of art I did a lot of hand drawn cartoons/illustration for customers (silk screeners, printers, etc.) that would tell me to just draw them a "coloring book page"... simple line art with no color, crosshatching or shading. Those drawings were then scanned and worked with digitally. I am now a Prepress Manager at a printing plant and am STILL learning something new in the world of art EVERYDAY. SB - don't underestimate the importance of some basic computer graphic design classes at a local junior college for your daughter. They can be very beneficial for her while she is still testing deeper waters. Even if she gets some time with different apps - Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, she will be better down the road. She is at the age where learning computer apps is like walking and chewing gum to her generation. Again - good luck!