Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
So I guess we could erase Gallo from the list as one who could succeed as boss in Montreal. Could his decision have something to do with the current situation in Montreal?

On forums like this one, posters often speculate what Italian organized-crime figures were thinking at one time. Or are thinking now. I am no different so I will only speculate.

Gallo's deportation seemed inevitable, even with his attempts to fight it; the article mentions he finally gave up the fight. I'm sure he would rather have stayed in Canada, just as Sal Montagna would have preferred to stay in the US. (And we should recall that, after voluntarily choosing to be deported to Canada and settling in Montreal, Montagna tried through his lawyer to return to the US.)

Now, if we're asking whether Gallo is better off living in Italy, are we asking whether he'll be safer? Happier he'll be out of the fray? Relieved he won't be questioned by Canadian law enforcement about all the murders and attempted murders? Perhaps we should wait to see whether his lawyer will mount a legal challenge to return to Canada, but I doubt the challenge will happen.

With Sal Montagna's murder, Raynald Desjardins's arrest, and Moreno Gallo's deportation, I wonder whether law enforcement now has fewer sources for clues in their investigation of the murders of Paolo Renda, Agostino Cun trera, and Nick Rizzuto Sr. Were Montagna still alive, I doubt whether, if arrested, he would have supplied law enforcement with information about the murders. (But you never know.) Gallo was arrested and put back into detention a week after Montagna's murder; he was also questioned about this murder. So I don't know what to read into Gallo's decision to abandon his deportation battle. If he could have supplied law enforcement with valuable information, would his deportation have been deferred? Or, as I wrote above, is he relieved to be leaving?

Last edited by antimafia; 01/04/12 05:06 PM.