Originally Posted By: "Lilo"
The latest report is anything but definitive and at the very least the fact that the drums for war are being beaten by the same people who lied us into Iraq should give reasonable people pause. Fool me once and all that.

The latest report? Don't you think something like "antiwar.com" may have an agenda and not present all the facts objectively? Furthermore, while people can complain about the U.S. acting too swiftly on weak evidence - that most believed at the time despite the revisionist history - the tired accusations of lying is a stretch. But since we're talking false claims here, where is all that Iraqi oil we were supposedly fighting for. You know, the real reason we were there. rolleyes

Originally Posted By: Lilo
I seem to remember that some of the people who were howling for war with Iraq making insinuations that Hussein was linked to Al-Qaeda and this was why we had to move NOW. Now the very same people are running the very same production about Iran. Again people should remember what happened, not just with Iraq but with Iran.

Exactly who is saying we need to move on Iran "now?"

Quote:
War is such an evil thing that the only moral reason for it is self-defense.

Yet it seems you would have the U.S. attempt to deny that to the Israelis.

Quote:
This is a separate issue (the Palestinians)

Hardly. The wider troubles in the Middle East have always been connected to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, directly or indirectly. Often at the insistence of the dictators in the Arab countries surrounding them. Israel has always been the perfect scapegoat. And there's the irony. You have a small, democratic, free nation in Israel surrounded by one basket-case, tyrant-led regime after another and it's Israel who is made out to be the bad guy and the bully.

Quote:
but it's not the Palestinians who are building settlements and kicking out the Israelis.

No, it's the Palestinians who (via Arafat) turned their nose up at a plum deal in the Oslo Accords. It's the Palestinians who chose a terrorist group (Hamas) as their government. A group which is funded in part by Iran. A group with whom peace will never be possible because they will never recognize Israel.

Quote:
But Israel can take care of itself. If it feels threatened by an Iranian nuclear program it can certainly disobey US directives and start a war on its own.

The underlying tone in your posts makes it sound like Israel is just itching to attack Iran - as if they get any benefit whatsoever out of that. Yes, Israel can take care of itself. But, again, it sounds like you are more or less saying they should not do anything and just hope that sanity in Iran prevails. You're falling into that same spin where Israel is made out to be the bad guy and I-freaking-ran is the victim. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems you simply couldn't care less if Israel was wiped out by a nuclear attack tomorrow. Or maybe you're willing to offer Israel up in order to placate the jihad nutjobs?

Last edited by IvyLeague; 12/31/11 03:59 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.