No that's not what I meant; of course technology in the right hands will do wonders. Some of my favorite movies make use of technology to deliver a great story. The problem is when technology IS the story. You see many pictures getting made only for the sake of technology and transformers is a good example.

You can safely say that nowadays there's a whole line of films where the writing is secondary if even exists at all. Technology used to serve the writing, now it's the other way around. Who is the servant and who is the master?

Does Bay even think about writing, or does he just go around saying let's shoot this explosion or this giant robot sucking a pyramid and the crowd will just love it? But again, that's not to say ALL movies are like that.

Shia LaBeouf can do teenage comedy. I totally see him in some of those shows on Disney Channel.

Now about "The Artist": Gimmickry in itself is not bad every once in a while. I don't think we're going to see a long line of silent films from now on. As long as there's actually a good movie behind the gimmick then that's more important. It's useless to go around trashing movies that aren't totally pure in creation or honesty. There won't be many films left to watch.

Is "Le Samourai", a movie most critics and film buffs adore, really that honest and pure? even from the get go, Melville is quoting from "The book of Bushido"...and to my surprise I find that there isn't such a book at all. I took the time to check it out once the movie was done, but most people go on believing there is such a book, and that my friend is dishonest filmmaking. And that's not even the worst part. Did you know that he changed the ending of "Le Samurai" simply because he found out another movie had a similar ending?? I mean that's outraging!! you give up your creation for the sake of being original?

But that's not to say "Le Samourai" is not a superb film after all. It's still one of the finest and most entertaining movies I've seen. Very few movies are totally pure, and I for one would not limit myself over principles. There's plenty you get from imperfect movies. If you scratch "The Artist" simply for gimmickry or entertainment value, then believe me you'll have to scratch most movies out there. At least here it's in your face.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)