Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
That's the same argument I hear over and over again by people who claim the Detroit or Kansas City families are still going strong.

I'm not those people. And for 'Ndrangheta members this is actually true.

Quote:
And what about all the 'Ndrangheta busts in Italy or other parts of Europe? Did they miss out on the memo about being low key?

Making such a comparison can depend on various factors. The first and foremost is that Italian authorities have more experience with pursuing the mafia. The 'Ndrangheta has a much bigger presence in Italy and is therefore a bigger priority. So it's quite obvious that Italian authorities put more effort in prosecuting the 'Ndrangheta than in Canada. Why is it, that with so many killings and attempts going on in Montreal, there isn't a single mobster arrested in relation to these events?

Quote:
The Sicilians in Montreal were/are also involved in legitimate businesses. And I've said before that's what I think the actual Sicilian Mafia and Calabrian 'Ndrangheta clans are most involved with in North America - money laundering via legitimate businesses.

As you know, for many years, the drug trade (especially heroin, cannabis and XTC) went from Europe through Canada and the ports of Montreal into the United States. This distribtion network was set up by the Cotronis and later the [BadWord]-Caruanas and Rizzutos.

Quote:
But also one would think there would be at least some occasional criminal charges that pop up from time to time.

It does:

http://bitterqueen.typepad.com/friends_of_ours/vincenzo-demaria/

Well I don't believe Italian authorities made any arrests after only 2 years of investigation either. Can you link us to some articles about the Italian police making Ndrengheta and Cosa Nostra attests after only 2 years of investigating?

Last edited by Mussolini14; 12/21/11 11:08 AM.