Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I guess it depends on what your definition of "lack" is. I'm not saying there is no Italian OC in Toronto. I'm saying that I see little evidence to support it being on the scale that some claim it is. Especially when they start in with that nonsense about the "balance of power" now being in Canada.

'Ndrangheta members are known to operate different than the average mobster and they are usually more low-key. They are also generally more involved in legitimate businesses. So the number of indictments hypothesis doesn't necessarily have to correspond for them too.

I'm also one of those who believes that naming 40 members by Italian authorities doesn't have to mean that there couldn't be more who weren't named. But it does strongly indicate, like you said, that there aren't hundreds of them operating in Toronto like some want to believe. So I think the number would be closer to 50, but that doesn't include "associates".

Quote:
You know what's funny? That whole line of thinking more or less started out with the book The Sixth Family: The Collapse of the New York Mafia and the Rise of Vito Rizzuto.

You should definitely read Mafia Inc.

I do think the Rizzutos were a powerhouse because of their impressive network and I think they could have been at one point more powerful than some of the medium-sized American families.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."