Last week during Thanksgiving, out of the blue and with zero hype, Prince actually released a new single ("Extralovable") through iTunes and other on-line digital music stores to promote his new tour up in Canada. I'm a supposed "fan" and I wasn't even aware about this until yesterday.

Despite no advertisement or pre-release notice, it's actually a hit at digital stores so far. Currently #2 on iTunes' R&B/Soul chart, and #111 on the iTunes Top 200. Impressive all things considered I suppose.

My first impression: Yet another technically fine track with a slicked-up production that Prince can produce in his sleep (which he's done way too many times. I'm sure he's released albums too while sleepwalking.) Also I'm biased because I've heard the original version, produced thirty years ago as an outtake way back in the 1999 album sessions.

But this new version has actually grown on me, now comes off as a solid R&B track which partially perhaps explains its current success. Certainly I don't miss the distasteful rape lyric found in the original version.

My personal dissing of the guy personally aside, I always enjoy it when such music masters long past their prime time can still cut decent music, further padding their resumes.

(and the original version)