So in case you can't tell, I've been reading various unfilmed Part III scripts. I read Dean Riesner's 1979 script, which was horrible, and followed it up with Coppola and Puzo's Part III script which is available here, along with the Riesner script:

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/screenplays/the-godfather-part-iii-1989-05-10-draft

First off, and I found this very strange, is that Rocco Lampone appears in both Riesner and Puzo/Coppola's unused scripts. The final decision to not use him in III was a good once since we were left with the impression that he was killed when assassinating Roth at the airport. I really don't know what they were thinking bringing him back for Part III.

Second, Tom Hagen is in the unused script by Puzo and Coppola. I do believe that Part III would have been much better had Duvall played Hagen, but there was really nothing major added to the script with Hagen there. He just handles some of the charity stuff and is more involved in the church swindle than Harrison was.

Thirdly, I liked the continuity of having WIllie Cicci take the place of Joey Zasa, but they don't really make any mention of Cicci working for Pentangelli or being investigated by the senate, so it almost doesn't even feel like the same character. And wouldn't Michael cut all ties with Cicci or have him killed after he snitched on Mike and the family in Part II? Add to that, the Russo brothers, who work under Cicci. Michael at one time tells the Russos that he kept them around because they were loyal to Hyman Roth, which I found odd, since Roth wanted to kill Michael, but Michael seems to have some loyalty toward Roth in keeping the Russos around. Also, it felt like the Russo Bros. should have been the Rosato Bros. So that was a bit confusing as well.

And finally, in this version, Michael dies. I doubt this would surprise many people here since they already know about it, but it was a much weaker ending than the one they eventually used. Michael's ultimate punishment is losing his family. Having him die gives him an easy way out. Thankfully, that ending was changed to the one that exists.

Other than those major differences it is largely the same movie, with many of the scenes word for word as they are used in Part III. While reading these scripts I noticed the apparent laziness that Puzo and Coppola had while writing this script. LIke I mentioned above, there is a lot of disconnect from Part II in the original script, and it also exists in the one they eventually filmed, despite more characters from Part II appearing. Also, gone are the little moments of intrigue, like the Hagen/Neri struggle for power and Mike's resentment of Hagen. In the unused Part III script all seems well between all of them.

So I can kind of rest assured knowing that the Part III that exists is the best possible Part III that could have ever been made, short of Duvall not appearing in it and Sofia Coppola playing Mary. In any case, it was a very interesting look into the minds of Puzo and Coppola. I only wish the script or notes for the rumored Part IV they were rumored to be working on would somehow be released in the same form.

So what does everyone else think? Has anyone read this script?