Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Mukremin
Guys i plan to buy Brotherhood series, its pretty cheap here. I think i will like it because of the mob elements in it. I also want to watch the Wire since everyone says its cool, but it has to have something that will attract me like mafia elements, mainly italian or irish. Does the show the Wire have those kind of things? Or is it just african american gangs fighting for drugs and police monitoring and wiring them?

The Wire deals with the latter - the drug trade in the Black ghetto in Baltimore and the police going after them. The show also branches out into other elements of the city, like the dying business on the waterfront, politics, and the local press. It's definitely worth watching. But, besides no Mafia element, it also doesn't have that genius combination of drama and comedy that made The Sopranos so great.

Couldn't disagree more. But to each their own. It's just differing opinions and that's fine. lol
The Wire doesn't have the traditional organized Italian-American connection depicted because in Baltimore (or at least in the fictional world of Baltimore that Simon chose to depict) the functions of LCN are either already subsumed by the Baltimore crime groups or mostly irrelevant to the people shown.

I think there's plenty of comedy in The Wire whether it's McNulty's constant refrain of "What did I do" , Bunk and McNulty's one word obscene conversation as they work a crime scene, Kima's irritating but well deserved sense of superiority towards Carver and especially Herc, Herc's confidence and dimwittedness, Rawls' vituperative homophobic rants despite being seen relaxing in a gay bar, Stringer Bell trying to enforce Robert's Rules of order and losing his temper, etc.

I enjoy both The Sopranos and The Wire. But if I can only choose one, I'm choosing The Wire. wink

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.