I haven't read "The Big Bankroll", but I recently finished Nick Tosches "King Of The Jews", another Rothstein biography which cites "The Big Bankroll" (amongst others) as a source..

Its funny. Its not mob-lit per say, but its definitely about Arnold Rothstein. Rather then the typical gangster lit. approach its more on his personal life in a way, the man "behind the myth", if you will. It tangents of into questions of the Jewish Experience and identity while also offering a rich account of the early 20th century ear New York underworld. Tosches is a great writer.

This book has gotten me interested in the real early days, ie Tammany Hall and the Five Points. The prototype Jewish wiseguy's like Monk Eastman and (of course) the Big Bankroll himself. Guys like Louis the Lump Poggi and Paolo Vaccarelli aka Paul Kelly, the latter a real survivor. And as we all know, Rothstein's contribution to mob-lore is most evident in the dress sense displayed by any self respecting mob-boss since Luciano and Costello.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 08/22/11 07:22 AM.

(cough.)