I worked in Maryland for several years at the racetracks there and I knew some of the LCN guys (no names!) And some of the NY guys would come down when they had horses entered. One day I was waiting at the barn for the "owners" to come by and visit their horse. This Rolls Royce with NY plates pulls up and 4 guys right out of central casting for the Sopranos get out. They had the shiny suits, big rings and cigars, the whole get-up. First thing one of the guy's says is "Yo, where's the fucking horse?"
One of them grabbed me around the neck, playfully bear hugging me, and I could feel his gun under the jacket. I was terrified, but they were cool and very funny.

Another story:
I had some friends coming into town and I wanted to take them to a nice Italian restaurant in Little Italy in Baltimore. So one of these mafioso's came around and I asked him what would be a good one to go to. He says, "My friend, take them to Luigi's. Make a reservation, and tell them "Vinnie" (name changed to protect myself) sent you."
So we go to Luigi's, and I walk up to the maitre'd, an old Italian gentleman and he asked if I had reservations. I said yes and gave him my name. Then I leaned in and whispered, "Vinnie sent me."
It was like I stuck him with a cattle prod. He jumped up and clapped his hands together and shouted "Vinnie! Right this way, sir!" He gave us the best table in the house and a free bottle of wine. It was freaking incredible! I never had service that good. I can see why those guys get addicted to that lifestyle. smile

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the
streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it."
----Mean Streets---

"Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you
pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me. It was
beautiful!". ---Henry Hill in "Goodfellas"