Senior Citizen Foils Carjacker

He walked from the post office to his Ford Escape, carefully looking around as he always does, before getting in the vehicle. A second later, a gun was pointed at him.

It was early afternoon on June 13, and Moses Baldwin was being carjacked.

But he isn't your average 81-year-old: Baldwin is a retired Detroit police officer who served on the force for 25 years and carries a concealed weapon.

The retired cop and carjacker exchanged gunfire. The thief escaped, but by Thursday, police said they had identified a suspect.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office is reviewing a warrant request for the suspect, who is in custody on other charges. Baldwin said he knows the outcome could have been different as he fought off a young, armed carjacker.

"Get out, get out, get out, get out, get out!' " Baldwin said the man yelled, telling him to put the keys in the ignition.

But Baldwin threw the keys on the floor. He said he was trying to buy time so he could get up from his seated position.

"I just slid out and started backing up and he says, 'Give me your money,' " Baldwin said.

"I said, 'I don't have any money.' "

Baldwin, who would end up about 10-15 feet away from the carjacker, reached into his pocket. He had some loose cash and pulled out a $5 bill with his left hand and threw it.

Then he reached for something else.

The carjacker, Baldwin said, asked: "What you reaching for? What you reaching for?'"

"I said, 'This.' "....

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.