Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Lilo,

What's this I hear about all teachers in Detroit getting layoff notices? Worse yet, the Governor (what's his name?? Synder aka Asshole?) can simply take over a city? eek

TIS

Hey TIS. As everyone likes to say (when it's their side that won rolleyes ) "elections have consequences".

It's not just Detroit teachers that could be impacted though they will be the most affected. Basically b/c of a host of reasons I don't want to get into now, Detroit's population has shrunk drastically over the past half-century and there are arguably too many teachers for the numbers of public schools in Detroit. The school system is also operating at a deficit. This means school closings and teacher layoffs. Detroit's school board is currently under state financial control so its ability to fight back against such things is rather limited. The chop is coming.

In addition to the specific Detroit issues, the new Governor, Rick Snyder wants to decrease budgeted state school funding across the board, which will lead to some more teacher layoffs across the state, though not as bad as could happen in Detroit.

The Emergency Manager law was updated by Snyder and the Republican state House and Senate majorities to allow for quicker appointment of emergency managers and increased powers of such managers to limit/eliminate the duties of elected officials and to throw out collective bargaining contracts, which I suspect was the real issue for Snyder and like minded supporters.

Read more here:
http://detnews.com/article/20110416/POLI...arbor-officials

Again, people voted so that's that.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.