Originally Posted By: SC
I'll add my 2¢ and include White Castle on my list. For 74¢ you get a small hamburger that tastes good, is somewhat greasy and slides down without too much chewing (they're nicknamed "sliders"). Eat a dozen of them after having a few drinks and you're good to go.

"Good to go"? That was the problem - you wouldn't stop going...

At the risk of sacrilige, I must say that I never liked White Castle. There used to be two in Brooklyn that were reasonably close (by car) to where I live - one was in Bensonhurst, the other Bay Ridge. The "sliders" (aptly named, unfortunately) tasted like greasy cardboard and the onion rings tasted like they had been soaked in old dishwater. I never saw what the fascination (or nostalgia) was for these unpalatable money-wasters. However, since I appear to be in the minority, I'll admit that it's possible that these two locations were just serving up crap food.

For example:

Just a few blocks walk from my apartment, we had a McDonald's and a Burger King. Over the course of several years, the Burger King went from a nice, clean establishment with good food (and very nice specialty sandwiches) to a dreary, desolate, grimy place with bad food, greasy fries, and everything seemed to be served either at room temperature or just plain cold. In a last-ditch effort to save their business, an Internet Café was added, but to no avail. A once-decent eatery had gone down the dumpers and closed in early 2010. McDonald's is still here, though, but I don't care for their food, the place is way too small (it's in a storefront), and it's usually an overcrowded, rowdy zoo - especially on school days.

Now, the closest "nearby" Burger King is a bus ride away, so if I want any fast food, the only thing near me is a Taco Bell/KFC. And that place used to have a vermin problem. (I know this, because a few years back when I was on line waiting to place an order, I looked up and saw the outline of a rat running around inside one of the ceiling light fixtures. I left immediately.)

So, fast food? Not these days... 'cuz around here it ain't what it used to be. frown

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."